Head of Engineering
We're looking for a Head of Engineering to join our team at Oova! You'll have the opportunity to shape our platform and help build out the culture of this fast-growing health-tech startup. If the idea of being an early hire at a venture backed, scaling, startup who is working at the intersection of Big Data, biomedicine and diagnostics is interesting to you, we should talk!
If you’re looking to join a relentless, hardworking, and passionate team that is determined to make a difference, then Oova is for you! Please forward your resume to Jerome Scelza (firstname.lastname@example.org), if interested.
As the Head of Engineering, reporting to the CEO, you will work as the liaison between product discovery and development. Your role will be to ensure our team of very autonomous mid-senior level software developers and prioritizing technical sprints with business and sales objectives in mind. About 50% of this role will be in code review, testing and infrastructure support.
What You'll Do:
- Be accountable for the technical strategy and roadmap. Lead teams to best prioritize their work towards both maximizing business value delivery to our users and excellence in technology crafts.
- Recruit high caliber Engineering team members, and act as a key contributor to the Engineering team culture, technology best practices, platform and system design and choices.
- Coach, mentor and inspire engineers and individual contributors on technical and career developments.
- Strong business sense and close alignment with enterprise value. Work effectively with business stakeholders in non-technical settings.
- Lead by example. Very technically involved in coaching and driving technical discussions and decisions with members of the team and around system architecture designs.
- Build strong relationships with your partners of Product Managers, Designers, Data Analysts.
- Collaborate with business functions to deliver best technology value to our users.
- Be involved in the Agile process at Oova, such as sprint planning, retrospective meetings, stand-ups and code reviews. Hold stack leads accountable and help them with milestones and deliveries.
What We're Looking For:
- Proven experience in leading multiple Product and Engineering initiatives at growth stage technology startups, managing one or multiple scrum teams and coaching Engineers
- An empathic people leader who is as passionate about developing engineers as they are about developing software, and has experience leading and growing complex technology functions with 5+ engineers.
- Strong technical skills. You consider software development as a lifelong passion. Enjoys conducting deep technical discussions with peers and senior members of the technical team.
- Outstanding analytical skills, and ability to analyze user data, think creatively and solve problems in a data-driven decision making manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex technology concepts to both technical and non-technical collaborators in a distributed and remote-enabled team setting.
- 3+ years experience in a software development leadership role
- 5+ years experience maintaining, testing, deploying applications
- 7+ years experience in software development, python AND JS experience heavily preferred
- Scrum / Agile Certifications and Project Management Experience
- Experience with managing and maintaining cloud infrastructure, Google Cloud preferred
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related discipline
- BI/BA and database experience, NoSQL, MySQL, cloud storage
- Proven experience in leading mobile App (iOS & Android) development
- Experience ingesting, writing and testing APIs
What We Offer:
- Highly competitive compensation package, including base and equity - everyone has a stake in our growth
- Comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, & vision insurance coverage for you & your loved ones
- Open vacation policy, encouraging you to take the time you need - we trust you to strike the right work/life balance
- Commuter benefits and remote work equipment assitance
Please forward your resume to Jerome Scelza (email@example.com), if interested.
Oova is a health intelligence company revolutionizing at-home testing. We have developed a first-of-its-kind, patented process to measure hormone levels through daily urine samples. At Oova, we leverage a unique combination of low-tech, disposable tests and a computer vision enabled smartphone app. Our real-time testing provides 20x the information in 10 minutes versus the typical 10 days and is 8x cheaper than leading DTC lab tests. Oova is a venture backed spin-out company from Mount Sinai Hospital.
Shifting the landscape of technology doesn’t happen on its own. It happens via the continuous and well-defined rigor of people who have a shared passion and who are dedicated to working toward a common goal. We are looking for exceptional people to join our rapidly growing startup and have a positive impact on our company culture and product. We strongly appreciate positivity, curiosity and above all else the ability to nail things down. We are incredibly conscious of creating a comfortable, flexible, environment that cultivates the desire to be engaged, ask questions and feel a vested interest in the success of our team. Most importantly, you should value honest and direct communication as you recognize that this is the best way for any individual or team to continuously learn and grow. Accomplishing our collective goals will be fun but it will also be hard; you should be in pursuit of an ongoing and rewarding challenge!
We’re passionate about the technology we’ve created and know that we are revolutionizing healthcare. The products you help us create are going to have a real-world impact on a person’s ability to understand what it means to be healthy and provide them with the tools they need to make educated choices about how they move forward. Our pursuit is an altruistic one, but that does not mean we live unbalanced lives. We have families and passions outside of work, and we know that the best work comes from sharp, rested people. We respect each other and each of our contributions, and we believe that the best solutions will come from a diversity of ideas and perspectives.
Python, Node, Express, Firebase, Google Cloud, Cloud Functions, BigQuery, Sentry, Inspectlet Firebase, iOS, Swift5, React, Angular, PostgreSQL, Android, Kotlin